Twin Islands of Andamans : Ross and Smith Islands

Comments
Ross and Smith Islands are known as the Twin Islands of Andaman and Nicobar group of islands. Ross and Smith islands are actually two islands – Ross and Smith joined together to make a single group of islands. These are one of the must watch places in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Twin Islands of Andamans : Ross and Smith Islands
Ross and Smith Islands
These beautiful islands are in North Andaman, few nautical miles from Diglipur Jetty.
What makes these islands truly beautiful and sets them apart from the rest of the islands is that these two islands are joined by a natural, sand bar. Its like if you face both the islands, you see a road kinda thing which is actually a sand bar linking both the islands. And thus, while walking on the bar one can move from one island to the other.
This white, silky sand bar goes inside the sea at times of high tide and surfaces up again during high tide.
One can easily reach these islands by taking a boat from Diglipur that costs anywhere from Rs. 500 to Rs. 2000. Boats run from early morning till noon. The island also has a small tree house where one can climb and enjoy the serene beauty.
The islands also have a bit of corals under the water but they are not much known and are present in deep sea so in a way coral life is not to be experienced here. During high tide, the sand bar disappears leaving a trail of water between the two islands and during low tide the sand bar appears again making the islands look majestic!
Water is crystal clear and gem green in color. Sun bathing in Ross and Smith Islands is a wonderful experience that can be had only after visiting them.
For any queries, send email to info[at]knowandamans.com.
How to reach Ross and Smith Islands: Hire a dunghi from Diglipur jetty.

34 Responses to “Twin Islands of Andamans : Ross and Smith Islands”

1. Yeah! It is indeed beautiful.

2. how to reach these twin islands from long island?

how much do the dungis charge for trips to guitar island, twin islands from long island…
    it will be of great help if you give us the information as we are planning to go on 1st march 13…

3. Abhishek, dunghi wont charge much for Guitar as it is nearby. but you will have to take a ferry (boat) to come to Diglipur from Long island. The boat will take you to Rangat and from there, you will have to go to Diglipur (Ross and Smith Islands) by road.

4. looks great but it is far from Port Blair, not easily accessible and most of the tour operators doesn’t include this.

5. Hi Sandeep,

It is far from PB but on the way one gets to see many more such mesmerizing sites. Also, the tour operators don’t include it in the package and that is why I built Know Andamans to actually let people know the true beauty of the place and to bring out the lesser known places to the forefront.

6. Reetika says:

These islands are really beautiful and uninhabited… How does one reach here from Port Blair?

• Hi Reetika,

You can hire a cab, board a ferry or take a seaplane or just take state transport bus. Getting a ferry ticket is very difficult so you may have to contact your travel agent and sea plane is currently out of service as it is monsoon here. Plz feel free to contact me whenever you plan to come here. Or else, you can board a ferry till Rangat, its easier to get tickets till Rangat, and then you can take a cab.

7. [...] islands are very popular as tourist spots. Red Skin island, North Bay, Jolly Buoy, Ross Island, Ross and Smith Islands are some of the very famous islands that are also open for [...]

8. Rajiv Agrawal says:

Hi Surabhi,
    I Am planning to visit A & N on 27-10-13,Sunday 7.45AM with my wife,12 yr kid.I want to visit Diglipur,Mayabunder,Rangat,Long Island(Optional),Baludera Beach(Optional)(Limestone caves,mud volcano we have visited 3 yrs back so not interested),Havelok,Neil to return back to PB on 4-11(Monday)(Monday Off For Buses To go to Baratang as per my knoeledge)(Are there any bus leaving after 11 or 12 noon on sunday?).So Plz let me know ship schedule to either neil or mayabun/diglipur on monday morning.Gov sites give scedule for 1 week that too only ‘To which island?& Name of vessel’.No info-From where?Can Indian visit barren island?How?

• Rajiv, can you plz send me an email with these questions so that I can help you in planning your itinerary?

Else, plz give me a day’s time and I’ll confirm but please note that getting ship tickets is an ordeal particularly during the peak tourist season so I guess you may have to contact a travel agent as ship tickets counters open just 3 days before the departure. For Havelock/Neil you can book Makkruzz and thats easy to get and till Rangat, you can get ship tickets as well as we have a daily boat. What I suggest is that you get to Rangat by ship and then hire a cab here that takes you till Diglipur and drops you back again at Rangat the next day or so.

• Deepthi says:

Thanks for all your effort. Its really helpful for folks who are planning trip to Andaman.

How can we reach Rangat by ship? Do we have daily ship from Port Blair and at what time?

How much a cab will charge for a round trip from Rangat to Diglipur and drop back again at Rangat the next day or so?

9. Lov Khokhar says:

Hi Surabhi,
    I am looking for a long visit of 8-12 weeks to Andman & Nicobar during Nov-Feb to concentrate on research work in isolation. I dont know any thing about these islands and expecting a help from your side.
    kindly find out any particular island/place which will fit to my basic requrements like,
    1. a 10/10 feet clean personal room with cot & table-chair(Rent Rs. 2000-5000).
    2. it would be more favourable if such accomodation is in complete isolation.
    3. a washroom (personal if possible).
    4. a mess/hotel for NORMAL INDIAN FOOD within 1.5km. range from such room (costing around Rs. 2000-3500 per month)
    5. electricity supply is not mandatory.
    6. plenty of coconut water to drink.
    7. such island/place should not be crowded (if possible).

If you find any place/places with these characteristics than kindly reply me back with more n more information about that (in particular, its distance from port blair). Further kindly also mention any challenge or obstacle which i could face at such place. i would be extremely thankful to you for your kind concern.

• Hi,

I have noted down your priorities. Though such kind of places are all around, I mean Andamans is in general a quiet place but finding a room with all the amenities might be slightly difficult but nevertheless, it is indeed possible to find one place for you.

I am emailing you the details.

10. Rajiv Agrawal says:

Hi Surabhi,

11. Chandan says:

Hi Surabhi,

Good to see your love to Andaman. I am planning to visit Andaman from 28th Oct to 4th Nov. I would like to visit Cinque Island. Which is best way to visit it and how much would it cost. I want to experience the sand bar, that is why I am intending to visit Cinque, hope this is the best place for seeing a sand bar.

12. Deepali says:

Hi Surabhi

How can we reach Ross & Smith Island from Rangat? How much time it takes?

Its better to visit these Islands during Low Tide. When is the Low tide? In the morning? Can we expect Low Tide during noon / afternoon time as well?

Where is Turtle Resort in Diglipur? How far is it from Aerial Jetty in Diglipur?

• Diglipur from Rangat takes approx 4 hrs. and from Diglipur jetty, R&S islands are abt 20 mins boat ride away. Dont worry about the tide timings. The island has its own charm in both the tides. Dont think so much, just come.. :D

13. Swati says:

Hi Swati

How far is Ross & Smith Island from Kalipur? I believe we have to stay at Kalipur (Turtle Resort or Pristine Beach Resort) and from there we need to plan for Ross & Smith Island. If we decide to stay at Diglipur / Kalipur, what time (Morning or Noon or Afternoon or Evening) would you recommend to visit Ross & Smith Island? Guess we are allowed to enjoy there only for 2-3 hours and if we stay at Diglipur then we can always plan visiting Ross & Smith according to the best time..

• Swati.. the best time to visit R&S is either in the early morning or in evening. best is you leave at 1 -2 pm and come back by 4-5 pm. I suggest so coz in the afternoon, it gets really hot and when you come back in evening, you see a marvellous sunset on the way! R&S takes about 20 mins drive by road from Kalipur. :)

14. Madhulika Gautama says:

Dear Surabhi,
    We are planning to come to the Andamans for our honeymoon between Jan 6 to 13. Our dates are flexible by 2-3 days here and there. We really loved your website and would be delighted if you could guide us with our itinerary. First can you please tell us if these are good days to visit Andamans? And, if there is something on the lines of a festival during these dates?

We are looking at a relaxing holiday that is not crammed with sight-seeing. We want to chill on the beach eating good seafood and drinking beer. We also want to see a few places of historical importance and indulge in a bit of snorkeling and diving.

Which island do you suggest we bunk at? We are also cool with dividing our stay of 7 days between two islands. Please do also suggest places where we can stay at? We’d be interested in a resort close to or on the beach. Our budget is 40K including travel within the island.

Also, please let us know if tickets for ferries can be booked in advance online?

Thanks a bunch! Look forward to seeing you when we’re there.

• Hi Madhulika,

It is a good time to visit Andamans but no festival. To find the places you want to go to, please select your choices from the categories given in the blog and you can pick the places you want to visit.

15. Meghna says:

Hi Surabhi

Do we have any restaurants near Diglipur Jetty? How far is Jetty from the main city? I am asking this in case we start from Rangat early morning, visit Ross & Smith Island during the day and post Lunch return back to Rangat on the same day. I know it takes 3-4 hours from Rangat to Diglipur so may be little hectic journey but that would save us some time.

• There is a nice restaurant 20 mins drive away from Jetty but since it is in the opposite direction of the city, you would have to keep extra time at hand. As you are pressed for time, I would suggest you get something packed on the way. There is a good bakery at Diglipur bus stand. I dont know about any decent restaurant near the Jetty. there are some deli shops on the way.. but I haven’t tried any of those yet!

16. Sudhir says:

Hi Surabhi

In the above post, you mentioned about some nice restaurant 20 min drive away from Jetty. Could you please share the name of this restaurant?

Do you also recollect the name of the Bakery at Diglpur Bus stand? :)

• Hey Sudhir, sorry for the late reply. Yeah – the restaurant is Pristine which is near Kalipur beach. I have covered it on the blog, you can read about it here. The bakery is NK Bakery. :)

17. Jaya says:

Hey Surabhi, Ross and Smith Island look really beautiful. When is the best time to visit there during the day? When can we see the Sand Bar for sure? I don;t want to miss the Sand bar joining the two islands so definitely would like to visit when there is low tide :)

• Jaya.. you see the sand bar during low tide.. and tide times vary with the season. I’d suggest you check the low/high tide time on net and then plan. Else, you can even ask the locals .. they are quite sure of it. :)

18. sheetal.singh says:

hi surabhi
    our flight time is 2:45 p.m from portblair. can we visit ross island as we have free time till 1:00p.m

• Hi Sheetal, After that latest boat sinking incident in in PB, there have been changes in boat schedule to various nearby islands. Otherwise also I’d suggest not to take any boat ride on the day of your flight. What I suggest is that you visit cellular jail or museum or Carbyn’s Cove beach or maybe Marine Park.