Asia’s Best and World’s Seventh Best Beach: Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island

Today’s post is about the Asia’s best and World’s seventh best beach – Radhanagar beach at Havelock Island.

Radhanagar beach, Havelock Island

Sunset at the beach

Not many know that an Indian beach has been named as the Asia’s best beach and the world’s seventh best beach by Time magazine! The reputed Time magazine named it as Asia’s best beach in 2004.

Asia's Best and World's Seventh Best Beach: Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island
Sunset at Radhanagar Beach

This beach is Andaman’s prideful possession and at the very sight of it, everyone exclaims ‘what a beauty!’

Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island
Sunset again at Radhanagar Beach

Radhanagar beach is in Havelock island which falls in South Andaman district and is probably the most visited place in Andaman and Nicobar Islands group.

Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island
View of the other end of the beach

The beach is about 7 kms away from the popular Vijaynagar beach and Dolphin Yatri Niwas, a beautiful government resort.

Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island
Bathing in the clear water, the beach is safe for swimming

Radhanagar beach, Havelock Island is very well known for its vast spreading and long white, sandy beach that sprawls across a wide area. With lush green trees on one end and aqua green, clear water on the other end, one can truly take a walk midst nature and forget all his woes.

The picture below shows the footprints on white sand of the beach.

My daughter’s foot prints on the sand

The beach is also very safe for swimming though incidents of salt water crocodile attacks on humans have been reported couple of times. But in such cases, the forest department issues a warning to the visitors.

Enjoying the white waves

After sunset, it is not advisable to go inside the water as the intensity of waves increases and it gets a little dangerous to stay in water post sunset.

Sunset at Radhanagar Beach

But in the day time, one must visit this nature’s gift to our beloved country and our sacred islands!

How to reach Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island: Book a ticket on seaplane or Makruzz (catamarine) from Port Blair. Apart from these, there are two government boats that connect Havelock to Port Blair.

18 Responses to “Asia’s Best and World’s Seventh Best Beach: Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island”

1. […] Radhanagar Beach in Havelock Island gets a new feather in its hat. After being named as World’s 7th best beach by Time magazine, the beach now finds itself in the list of 100 best beaches. […]

2. […] the most beautiful Island of Andaman and Nicobar group. While Havelock Island is mainly known for Radhanagar Beach, there are many other beautiful beaches as well. Today’s beach in the picture is Kala Pathar […]

3. ashima says:

Surabhi, this is so beautiful !! I have been dreaming about my Andaman trip from last few years. After so much wait, its going to happen this year :) However we just checked the Hotels in Havelock. They seem to be too expansive :(

Do we have only luxury resorts (for Honeymoon couples) in Havelock or are there any moderate accommodations (for regular vacations) also available?

• Ashima, yeah the resorts do get expensive in Havelock but there are some budget hotels as well. Can you please email me with your requirements? email me your number and I will see how I can help you.

4. ashima says:

Thanks Surabhi. Could you please mail me some decent hotels at Port Blair in the range (1200 – 1500 per day) and at Havelock in the range (2000 – 2500 per day)? My email-id is

5. Mukesh says:

Hi Surabhi, Thanks for the wonderful Blog. It really provide lot of information to us :)

I have heard that most of the beaches in Havelock are rocky beaches and as such not safe for swimming. Only Radhanagar beach is Sandy and safe for swimming.

Is that true? Then why are most of the hotels near Beach No. 3 and 5 only?

• ha ha ha.. Mukesh, thats indeed a nice question! :) Its true that most of the beaches are rocky so they are not ideal for swimming though you can still soak your feet in the water have a nice time but swimming is the best in Radhangar though it gets scary with giant waves as sun sets. Hotels are mostly far away from Radhanagar because 1. Barfeoot is there and it has a sprawling campus of its own so any other hotel would need lot of expertise and money to start its operations there. 2. Radhanagr is a little far away from the city and hence it may not be too convenient for the hotel owners. (these are my guesses)

6. Hema says:

Hi Surabhi

Need your email id to send details of my trip to Andaman. Can u please provide your email id

7. Anup says:

Hi Surabhi

Do we have local shops in Port Blair and Havelock where we can buy T-Shirts and Hawaiin Shirts? Basically I am looking for beachwear similar to what we get in Goa..

8. sheetal.singh says:

hi surabhi
    plz tell me is it possible to visit havlock and neil island in same day by govt. ferry from portblair

• No. Neil and Havelock are on different sides. You can plan a trip though but it would just like touching the islands and not seeing them. You can return from Havelock or Neil in one day from PB.

9. Roy says:

Hi Surabhi,

Thanks for all your time and efforts into putting this all together.

I seek your advise on my itinery and desired locations t be covered within that time frame which would be a challenging adventure.

Assuming my flight reaches on time I will be arriving Port Blair on Aug 2nd, 2014 at 710am and will be leaving Aug 4th, 2014 at 835am.

On the basis of the research I have done so far. I think I will immediately head to havelock and neil islands and cover them within day 1 and hopefully come back the same evening to Port Blair and then spend Day 2 exploring the entire south and north of the main andaman island and if possible also viper island.

Please advise, and also if possible let me know what the mode and time of transport would be around that time from Port Blair to Neil and back (The govt website says theres one from Portblair to Havelock via Neil at 11am but doesnt say when it leaves from there)
    Also would i be able to take local transport to zoom across the entire andaman from south to north and back to port blair on day 2.

Thanks in advance. God Bless